Sunday, 26 July 2015

26 July 15 ... wet tiles are slippery!

If you have ever walked on crutches, you know that in the wet it’s a bit like being on skates and the control you have over the whole situation is minimal. So; when out and about in the wet, much caution is taken to stay upright and in control.

Since Brendan lost his leg, we knew that the probability of a fall was looming. He’s gone down before, post illness (who hasn’t), and the couple of occasions I can recall this happening it has been due to the same thing, slippery tiles …no alcohol involved. And when he goes down …he goes down hard. Unlike me, he has a little bit of height about him so there is a ways to fall!

Yesterday I had just finished unpacking and repacking the dishwasher (is ours the only house where the dishwasher only gets unpacked when it needs repacking?) and I was standing by the kitchen sink texting my sister about her birthday get-together.

Without looking up I heard Bren coming out of our bedroom, and the next thing I knew there was a loud clatter of metal crutches hitting tiles, and a thud. I looked down to see my husband on the floor looking up at me.

He had slipped on water that I didn’t realise had spilt from the dishwasher.  “Shiiit are you OK!!!!” … was followed by me laughing while Bren got back up on his feet, he said “well that wasn’t as bad as I’d imagined it to be.” Then he calmly made his way to the lounge and got on with what he’d been doing earlier.

I apologised for laughing, and I did feel bad for laughing. But to be fair I know I laughed at least one other time that he’s slipped over (the good wife), when he still had two legs, because it was funny.  I’m also pretty sure if I go guts up any time soon, my husband will have a pretty good laugh as he picks me upJ. That’s just how we roll!


So first fall is done and dusted, and with is new leg only a matter of weeks away we best keep a camera handy…cause I’m sure there will be plenty more to come!

PS: a Quick story about getting about on crutches while we are on the topic: This round of chemo as most of you know, Bren is infused 24/7 for the 6 days he's in hospital. So getting about is a logistical nightmare; unless he calls someone to trail along with him rolling the chemo pole he is attached to, along beside him. Of course if he needs to go into the shower/bathroom he mans this himself a lot of the time.

One morning the physio came in to see him, just as he was coming out of the shower. She looked at him (he was fully clothed), said "Wow you seem to be getting around fine, I don't think you need to see me." she then continued to watch him with a smile on her face, as he maneuvered back toward his bed. "However I wouldn't recommend anyone else push a chemo pole while moving sideways on a pair of crutches!" she said, still smiling as she left.

He goes alright!

Life is good and hope is limitless.
Cal xx

You can find more information on Sarcoma Cancer by following this link: sarcoma

PSS: Happy Birthday Sue xx

No comments:

Post a Comment