Sunday, 28 June 2015

28 June 15... fun and games

We walked through the door of room 701 just in time to catch a magical sunset over Parramatta Rd. Six days and five nights hooked up to cytotoxic chemo drugs as an inpatient, is a very long and exhausting infusion. The first cycle of three in this round is now done and dusted.

The feeling of relief to have Bren out of the hospital and at least back to the hotel room was overwhelming for both of us, as we flopped onto the bed, cuddled up and promptly went to sleep. Neither of us stirred again until well after dinner time. Tomorrow we would be heading home.

This week was new territory; as they were trying new drugs over a new time frame. This had me feeling a bit out of kilter. Within the week however; the advantage of having time on our hands was that we had a chance to reassess how we were feeling about...everything; including what we could do to make the whole process easier as it goes on. Making sure our focus is where it needs to be... on getting Brendan well, each other, and the kids. When juggling appointments, schedules and treatment with life in general, everything... including you tends to get a little lost. So we had a team meeting to get back on track, and on the same page.

Although long, the week held many highlights; as it always does when you are at Lifehouse. My favourite was the elevator race between Brendan and the gorgeous Cath (his nurse that day) and me. Cath and Bren took the internal elevators and I took the glass elevators. We parted at Level 8 and the race was on to get to Day Therapy on Level 1. As I passed level 2 I could see Cath and Brendan rounding the corner below me for the home straight, Cath wheeling the IV Pole as she juggled several folders of Brendan's notes and Bren using his arm strength to move the wheelchair along...both looking up with huge smiles on their faces. My elevator was closer to the finish line as I waved down at them, and if the doors opened in time I could pip them at the post. I was travelling light with just a  bag and Bren's crutches, so my chances were good. It was almost a dead heat, but I came out just before them, to much laughter from all of us. "What are you two a comedy duo" was the first thing that came out of my mouth. "No" Cath said laughing, “but I think you two are!" 

Cath along with all the girls and boys; the earth angels we call nurses, who have looked after Brendan this week and many others, both downstairs at day therapy and on ward/Level 8 have been wonderful. And yes there are favourites even though I know I shouldn't admit it. It's a bit like choosing between your kids, so I'm not going to mention any names Jess. Knowing that Brendan was being so well looked after was comforting on such a long stay.

Then there was Dr Bhadri being made an official #teambrendanm member by receiving his own #teambrendanm stubbie holder. I wasn't there on the morning he did rounds, but Bren said he had commented that he liked the hashtag on his t-shirt. So he gave him a stubbie holder; telling him that he is considered to be a pretty important part of the team. I like that :)

Gorgia the young registrar on ward is also a valued member of the team. She is confidant, easy going, good at her job and always smiling. She will often casually sit on the foot of Bren’s bed while taking notes and having a quick chat about how he's going. Gorgia also has great taste in shoes. She wears beautiful, high courts with a pointy toe most days. As I wondered out loud how she walks around in them all day...Brendan reminded me that I use to when I was her age. And yes it's true, I think I maybe becoming way too sensible.

As you can see it is not so much a place that makes healing possible; but the team of people in that place. I have said it before and will say it over and over again, we are so lucky to be blessed by the best team that could ever have been bought together, both at home and when we are away.

Now we can settle in for some rest and relaxation for the next two weeks before doing it all again.

Life is good. Hope is limitless.


Sunset on room 701; Sat 27 June 12

P:S:  and a big thank you to the beautiful Maureen, an oncology nurse at Manning Base and also the lovely triage nurse in emergency who helped us organise Brendan's much needed medication this afternoon when we got home; after we left his at the hotel in Sydney. As luck would have it, this led to a meeting with the lovely Karen, oncology coordinator at Manning Base. Our team continues to grow in amazing ways...see earth angels are everywhere.

You can find more information on Sarcoma Cancer by following this link: sarcoma

No comments:

Post a Comment